Human development seeks to create an equitable, sustainable and stable world in which to thrive.
It seeks to support people's capabilities to be and do desirable things in life. Investing in people. Enhancing opportunities. Expanding choices.
Impact can be achieved through: (1) directly enhancing human abilities and; (2) creating conditions for human development.
People. The ability to lead long and healthy lives that they value.
Opportunities. Ensure access to knowledge and education.
Choices. Enable the pursuit of a decent standard of living.
Engage. Participate in political and community life.
Sustainable. Conditions that can be upheld for future generations.
Secure. Human security and rights.
Equal. Gender equality in economic and social arrangements.
Annually, a financial investment is made to support at least one human development challenge.
Challenges are identified by the following seven categories:
- Social Determinants of Health
- Aging and Life Course
- Refugee and Migrant Health
- Capacity Building, Outreach and Collaboration
- Equity in Education
- Skills for Work and Life
- Early Childhood Education
- Education for Sustainable Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Food Security
- Food Production
- Social Support
- Political Participation
- Localized Leadership and Engagement
- Youth and Conflict Transformation
- Individual vs. Social Choice
- Race and Identity
- Human Security
- Rule of Law and Respect for Human Rights
- Reduced Inequalities
- Social Dimensions and Climate Change
- Water Stewardship
- Energy Security
- Sustainable Development
- Gender and Conflict
- Gender, Equity and Human Rights
- Health Outcomes for Women
- The Global Gender Gap